Monday, May 23, 2011

Today I did the kind of things I usually do. Worked a little. Went to the market, made a big ol' salad for dinner, tried my hand at home made ranch dressing. Roasted up the asparagus and cauliflower that were getting yukky. Put a bunch of stuff on Freecycle.

Then, I got a call from a head hunter.

Which naturally has me wondering if I would ever really go back to work in Evil Corporate America (heretofore known as ECA). I can definitely see the positive results of my change to being self employed in my family. I'm here 95% of the time when the girls get home from school. My stress level is a sliver of what it was. My family is eating healthy meals and my cooking repertoire is expanding. I get to volunteer in my community. I get to take my dogs to the park. My fuel costs are minimal. Many of those things are pretty high on my list of priorities. Hard to walk away from.

Then we have the things that WOULD improve if I went back to ECA. We would have health insurance. We could ensure A's continued attendance at her private school (which has been a HUGE positive step for her and has drastically improved the family dynamic). We would have a verifiable income to work with when buying our farm, as well as capital for equipment. If I worked for 3 years and we kept to a strict budget, we'd be in a much different place than we are now with essentially nothing but a dream and a prayer to keep us going.

Under what circumstances would I consider it?

If I were able to work from home? And made enough $$ to pay someone to cover the kids if I had to travel? If they gave me a signing bonus that would cover the $30k needed to buy the farm that I love?

No comments:

Post a Comment