Saturday, June 13, 2009

Worms!




I did quite a bit of research on worms before jumping in, but everything I found seemed to be much more complicated than the approach of a friend of mine. She bought a small plastic bin and filled it with shredded newspaper, credit card bills, or whatever she had shredded. She puts in kitchen scraps and adds bedding when she remembers to. The worms live under her kitchen sink and could go for a really long time with no attention at all. Being a person who gravitates toward the path of least resistance, I liked her plan better than the ones I found on line.

Here's my worm bin. I may have to 'upgrade' the bin to something bigger depending on how much we actually produce to feed them. You can see small clumps of the worm 'castings' in the close up pic that the worms brought with them from their previous home. I added in the tops of about 3 carrots and a few bell pepper scraps today - all cut as small as I had patience to cut so that they are easily processed by the worms.

If anyone has advice on how to make this work best, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Stay tuned for more exciting worm news!

Dee

2 comments:

  1. So are you using a special kind of worm or just ones dug up from the yard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are special worms... only I can't remember what kind! I got them from a local urban gardening group about 3 years ago at an earth day celebration. I do know that they are from the south and are not be put outside in MI. They need temps above 50.

    I really do ignore them as much as she says... I often don't even chop the scraps up all that much (except maybe broccoli stalks).

    ReplyDelete